monthlybarometer.com - prescient and succint analysis of what's out there

Curation of weekly selections – A distillation of the opinions that count!

Search



Tags

Kenneth Rogoff
Filter: None
  • ECONOMICS, China

    Zhang Jun, "China’s Vision for the Next 30 Years"

    Project Syndicate - 14 Nov 2017

    For those unfamiliar with China’s economics and politics, this article does a good job of taking stock of what happened at the 19th Party Congress and of explaining what lies ahead with a 30-y time horizon. The vision is clear: China wants to become a high-income economy by 2035. The main stumbling blocks are: income and wealth inequalities, and aging (by 2050, 36.5% of China’s population will be over the age of 60) (reads in 5-7 min). 

    Published in Weekly selection 24 November 2017

    Please click here to read the article

  • SOCIETY, Globalization

    Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, Viola von Berlepsch, "Population diversity as a crucial source of long-term prosperity in the US"

    VOXeu - 10 Nov 2017

    This academic article may be a little dry and specific, but it reaches a fundamental conclusion: high levels of population diversity (the result of a lot of migration) have had a strong, positive influence on economic development, while high levels of polarization have undermined development. Wealthy countries that decide to forego new migration may be jeopardizing not only the short-term positive impact associated with greater diversity, but also the enduring positive influence of diversity on economic development (reads in 7-9 min).

    Published in Weekly selection 24 November 2017

    Please click here to read the article

  • PSYCHOLOGY, Human condition

    André Spicer, "From inboxing to thought showers: how business bullshit took over"

    The Guardian - 23 Nov 2017

    This is an excerpt from a book coming out today: “Business Bullshit”. It’s a long read (12-16 min), but humorous and interesting throughout. Management fads have created workplaces that are full of empty words and equally empty rituals: according to a 2014 survey by the polling agency Harris, the average US employee now spends 45% of their working day doing their real job. The other 55% is spent doing things such as wading through endless emails or attending pointless meetings. The point is this: vacuous management-speak is easily laughed off, but is there a real cost to talking rubbish – mainly money and time wasted.

    Published in Weekly selection 24 November 2017

    Please click here to read the article

  • 1399 more articles, please Subscribe to access to all of them.